Although Khat users in the U.K. number in the thousands and specifically within the Bolton borough, anecdotal evidence suggests that numbers of Khat users are growing and not just within the Somali community but also spreading into other communities. To tackle this issue from 2007 up till now, we have aimed to set up and maintain a co-ordinated effort to tackle Khat misuse using a partnership approach between statutory bodies and Voluntary and Community Sector Organisations.
BSCA’s Khat Project
- BSCA runs a monthly drop-in service for people affected by Khat use.
- We in partnership with Bolton Council have and produced a Khat facts website to provide more information and confidential support.
- Provide diversionary activities for families affected by Khat use through education, recreation and sports.
- Provide raising awareness and training sessions for service providers i.e. schools and health practitioners.
- Sharing good practice and increasing cross working at local, regional and national level.
For more information on the Khat Project please contact Ibrahim Ismail on 07512738697 or 01204 334 004.